Canada

CP Foods buys Canadian pig producer

Mergers & Acquisitions

HyLife Foods, founded a 25 ago in southeastern Manitoba, was sold for $500 million to the Thay food producer.

Posted on Apr 30 ,12:18

CP Foods buys Canadian pig producer

The largest pork exporter in Canada has been sold to Charoen Pokphand Foods (CP Foods), the third largest pig production company in the world. The deal is worth almost $500 million and the price was paid for 50.1% of the company's shares. Itochu, a Japanese company, owns the remaining 49.9% from a previous transaction.
The sale is still subject to regulatory approval and until the transaction is approved the company will be run by its founders.
"I think it's an opportunity. This global transaction can only make the gateway to Asia more clear and direct", commented Sylvain Charlebois, Dalhousie University food professor. CP Foods has operations in 17 different countries around the world and is a vertically integrated company involved in pork and poultry, aquaculture, animal feed and restaurant businesses. It's a family business owned by Dhanin Chearavanont, reputed to be the wealthiest man in Thailand. The company's goal is to produce 60 million pigs/year within 10 years, according to information offered from inside sources.

 NEWSLETTER - Stay informed with the latest news!

Comments





Similar articles

Vietnam

Vietnam targets 100,000 tonnes of pork imports for 2020

Vietnam looks to increase its pork imports for 2020 to reach a total volume of 100,000, according...


Read more Read more
EU

EU broiler prices down 9% from a year ago

Broiler prices in the EU have dropped bellow the lowest level recorded in the last 5 years and th...


Read more Read more
Denmark

Denmark bans harmful fluorinated substances in food packaging

Cardboard, food and baking paper with fluorinated substances will be banned in Denmark from mid-s...


Read more Read more
Websolutions by Angular Software and SpiderClass